|Asteraceae: Chrysanthemum maximum, or Leucanthemum x superbum
|Shasta Daisies, 2008|
Flowering has started.
Flowering has started.
Two small clumps in the raised bed, in flower now.
There is a clump in the raised bed, in flower now.
I couldn't find the 3 plants I moved last fall to save them,
but there was a nice clump in the raised bed.
I moved it to a spot in a regular bed.
There was no quack grass in it.
I am no longer sure if that was shasta daisies or it that was the dahlia.
They are almost overwhelmed by the quackgrass in their bed.
I I moved 3 plants to a new bed about a week ago.
I was careful to remove the quackgrass roots from their soil.
They seem to have almost died in their new spot howevver.
As for the old bed, I sprayed it with glyphosate,
and since then trampled it during construction of the raised flower bed.
July 4: Flowering fine.
May 24: Growing nicely in the bed, with volunteers here and there elsewhere.
June 20: Making a good display of blooms.
April 23: There was much quackgrass in their bed, and only one small Shastas, so I sprayed with Round-Up.
May 25: No plants at all grew in their bed so I moved in 3 volunteer Shastas from elsewhere.
June 16: They flowered.
April 2: The snow has melted and revealed the well-developed leaves of many plants.
26: Continuing to develop.
May 26: A couple of flowers.
August 1: They did well as they flowered before the dry weather set in.
Now there are a few flowers again.
May 10: Small plants in their area, but a bit patchy.
Far too many volunteers in the black tulip bed, right beside it.
June 24: Many flowers.
October 2: Many young plants ready for next spring!
June 17: A few flowers are open today.
July 29: William cut them back to about 30 cm high.
There was a solid bed of blossoms during their blooming period,
just so many flowers!
|Shasta Daisies, 2003|
March 24: They have a few green leaves, but these usually die.
April 20: There is new growth in a few places.
May 14: I split the large clump of plants into 3
and relocated them in their bed.
June 4: First flower.
July 5: Many blossoms are fading now.
September 1: The bed is filled with a wonderful growth of young plants,
giving promise of an excellent display next year!
April 21: New leaves visible.
June 18: First flowers.
August 2: No or almost no flowers remain,
but the plants look like they will do well next year.
There are many plants, filling their bed.
May 1: There are a few small plants.
June 4: First flower. The plant is small, with about 6 flower stalks. There are some smaller plants near it.
July 4: There are many flowers now.
August 23: There are many healthy plants in their bed now, which gives hope for a good show next year.
April 23: New growth is visible.
June 1: The first flower is opening.
15: A nice display, of about 70 flowers.
August 8: There are 6 small late flowers.
October 4: There are many healthy leaves.
May 17: There were no Shasta daisies alive in the garden
so I went to Parkview Street and dug a large clump from there.
18: I planted the clump.
June 2: First flower. Several flowers on Parkview Street.
June 30: Growing well enough.
August 3 and 31, and September 30: Flourishing nicely.
No flowers now or for a while.
November 21: The plants are still alive, but there are no flowers.
I mowed them down today.
May 2: Visible.
June 1: One flower.
It almost all died over winter.
June 10: Many flowers on Parkview Street.
May 4: Growing.
May 10: Growing.
May 10: Not visible yet.
May 25: Visible.
August 18: A few flowers.