|Brassicaceae (or Cruciferae): Hesperis matronalis||
|Dames Rocket, 2006|
Several plants are tall and in flower, along the fence.
June 6: Several plants are tall and in flower, along the fence.
May 25: Several plants are tall, along the fence.
28: Beginning to flower.
December 31: Still volunteers along both sides of the fence.
April 22: Large green rosettes in the bed outside the fence.
June 17: A few flowering here and there.
I took out the ones outside the fence to plant my astilbe bulbs.
June 23: Two plants in flower near the inside of the fence.
September 23: Several rosettes have grown along the inside of the fence
and outside the fence where I had nicotiana.
They should flower in the spring.
September 15: A few plants along the inside of the fence, where I think I can let them grow.
June 1: None in sight.
June 17: A couple of plants are in flower.
July 2: No change.
January 1: I plan to let them flower then remove them.
July 4: Almost finished flowering.
August 3: I yanked them all. I may be able to keep them if I start sheet mulching including a layer of cardboard.
April 4: The melting snow has revealed large rosettes, both in their bed and near it.
June 16: Flowering bountifully.
December 31: Although they flowered well, they are clearly highly invasive by seed, and I think I must eliminate them from the perennial bed.
April 8: The rosettes of leaves that were revealed by the melting snow seem to have wilted now.
They make the plants appear to be perennials, not biennials, as they are now in their 3rd year.
May 1: The 3rd year plants are still growing, and there are many second year plants.
18: They are just beginning to flower.
June 16: They are just finishing flowering.
June 19: They had spread all around their original area, so I pulled them out except for those in their spot.
April 2: The snow has melted and revealed the green rosette leaves of last year.
May 17: A rocket has developed from each rosette and the first florettes opened today.
29: For several days there has been a bright cheery show.
August 1: The flowers have become seed pods but there are a few new blossoms too.
April 4: I sowed 6 cells with several seeds per cell.
10: Many sprouts. I took them downstairs.
7: Germinating seeds can be seen on top here and there.
Most seeds are buried.
May 25: I set out 6 plants.
June 2: Coming along.
October 4: Several rosettes are flourishing.
April 25: I started 6 cells, with a few seeds in each cell.
29: Many sprouts.
May 27: I set them out.
They are small and somewhat battered from the rains they have been in.
June 23: There has been no sign of them for a while now,
but plants of this species are flowering all over the city now.
28: I sprinkled a few seeds in their bed.
July 31: I am pretty sure there are no sprouts this year.
June 9: I collected 3 plants from a patch I admired along the riverbank
and put them in the perennial bed.
I intend to switch them with the parrot tulips when those have died back.
July 5: One of the plants has developed 2 rosettes of leaves
at its base, and one is just a green stalk,
and the third has died.
28: I collected seeds from that riverbank patch.
The plants there have dried and died.
September 1: One plant is alive and flourishing.
3: I moved it to the north side of the perennial bed.
October 16: It almost completely died after the move,
but a few leaves have remained green.