Chrysler Imperial Rose
I bought another plant of this variety.
I know it doesn't produce many flowers but the few you get are very well-formed and red,
and so beautifully scented.
I planted it in a big hole with lots of compost.
One flower bud.
It produced a few more flowers over the summer
but it got overgrown by a nearby tomato.
New growth visible.
Second flower opening.
5 flowers so far.
Covered with flax straw.
No green stalks detectable.
Still no growth.
A tiny plant with 1 small flower.
Not in bud yet.
I removed the mulch from around it today.
1 stalk is green (i.e., alive) at the base.
Scattered iron chelates.
A first flower bud is forming,
but there are not many leaves.
I have had about 5 flowers.
I heaped dry leaves over the plant,
and covered the heap with plastic.
I got only 2 flowers from it this year.
Cuthbert Grant Rose
|Cuthbert Grant, 2008
One small shoot came up but unfortunately the lawn mower broke it,
and nothing reappeared..
One shoot has come up from the ground.
That's all there is; I guess the rest was destroyed during construction of the wall.
I moved the rose because it was too close to the wall.
I split the root into 3 then planted the 2 small pieces and discarded the large woody part.
I put a lot of compost into the new spot near the old one.
Both doing fine.
Mostly dead, apparently.
There are a few opening buds on about two stems, but that's all.
Those 2 stems are growing well.
Many flowers on its 2 stems.
Slow this year. One flower so far.
A few flowers.
Still a few flowers.
In flower now.
It is not doing well.
The new growth is spindly and twisted and the new leaves are very pale.
It got its colour back but there were not many flowers and the plant is not very large.
July was extremely dry. The plant is getting irrigation water now.
I moved the bush to the corner of the garden.
I incorporated manure with the soil from the new hole.
A few small flowers.
Still alive, not much production this year.
It's coming along slowly.
I gave it a toss of fertilizer today and a toss of sulphur.
More sulphur and acid fertilizer.
Many buds are opening.
I have nurtured a mini-rose that I received as a gift from
Harold and Donalda Morton inside all winter.
It has just barely survived.
It has no leaves right now, but one stem is green and I think it has enough vitality to put out a few new leaves,
so I put it outside in the garden where I expect conditions are more to its liking than on my windowledge in my dry house.
It has 3 small leaves.
Whoops, I forgot about it.
I expect it was cleared away with the other plants.
New shoots today.
I sprinkled a little sulphur around it.
No flowers yet, but I noticed one bud.
They have been flowering nicely.
Today I gave them some acidic fertilizer.
After a period of no flowers, there are a few again.
Ben cut the plants back.
I saw one good display this summer, but was away too much to really assess it.
There was still the odd flower in August, but there are none now.
It is budding.
It has been a mass of blossoms for a week now.
After being bare for a few weeks, a new flower has appeared.
Short shoots are out today.
I moved the plant, a short distance. I added manure and peat moss to the soil around the plant.
Mulched with grass clippings.
I picked forest tent caterpillars off the bush. They had eaten about half the leaves.
The first flower is opening.
The bush is small, but there are many flowers!
Few flowers since that initial flush. The bush had scarcely grown, but looks healthy.
Buds on the Cuthbert Grant rose (Rosa arkansana xx ?) are red and swollen.
and there are more than 50 buds about to open.
A magnificent display!
Flourishing nicely. It has been in flower continuously.
I cut the stems back.
New growth visible.
Some manure. Cut back. It died rather far back
Green stalks visible.
Not in bud yet.
Budding. I scattered iron chelates.
I put landscape fabric around the base.
Growing well. Some coloured buds.
Not many flowers this summer.
Flowering very well.
A few blossoms.
Parkview Pink Rose
No sign of anything. The branch I planted fell out of the ground last autumn. I moved the Cuthbert Grant rose to its spot.
June 27: Still no sign of anything.
I took a stem from the pink rose at Parkview Street.
The stem has 3 small shoots near its base,
and what appear to be dried up thread-like roots below the shoots.
Although I left it in water,
it fell out and dried out during the afternoon.
I left it soaking overnight.
The sale of Parkview closed today,
so I guess there won't be any contact with that garden now.
I planted it in the garden in soil and plenty of peat moss.
The bottom of the stem had remained green,
but today it looked severely sun-scalded.