I have 3 seedlings on soil that shows much fuzzy white fungus.
The warming box was not warm enough and I left the seeds in there too long. I started another cell pack by putting it on one of the fluorescent lamp fixtures of the starting table.
They died and I discarded them.
Storm gave me 8 seedlings of Storm mixed.
I set them out.
I started 18 seeds in 9 cells, on a rather peaty soil mix in the warming box.
I have 10 seedlings, still very small.
I set out my 7 Cascade Double Pinks and also 12 Strawberry Daddy plants from Ron Paul Greenhouses.
The Cascades are coming along fine, and the Strawberry Daddy plants are flowering beautifully.
All flowering beautifully.
|Cascade Double Pink Petunias, 2008|
I started 9 cells with 26 seeds.
I put them upstairs on the heating tray.
I intend to turn the heat on each morning and off at night.
I set out my 6 plants.
I guess they were not hardened off enough as the leaves have bleached rather badly.
This despite the sky's being mostly cloudy since they went out.
I ordered seed of Cascade Pink from Stokes last month.
The seeds arrived today.
I planted 27 seeds on soil mix and put them in the warming box as in other years.
I forget the No-Damp so will have to water with it soon.
No sprouts yet. I turned up the temperature yesterday.
No sprouts yet. I removed the cells from the warming box to dry out.
I soaked the dry cells with No-Damp and put 27 more seeds on top,
and put the 9-pak on the heating mat.
I gave up some time ago on starting my own this year.
Today I bought 8 plants of Dreams Midnight, which has large violet blue flowers,
and set them out.
Doing well but very slow to grow.
I started my 13 seeds on soil mix with No-Damp and variable warmth, as other years.
They all died some time ago.
I guess they needed that usual special starting care that they did not get this year.
I planted 27 seeds of Double Cascade Pink in 9 cells,
using the same technique as last year.
2 tiny sprouts.
I divided them giving 12 normal plants and 3 runts.
I moved most of them into 4-paks and treated them with acid fertilizer and chelated iron.
I transferred the rest into styrofoam cups.
I set 7 plants into the semicircular bed.
Most of them are flowering.
I finished setting the rest out.
Some acid fertilizer.
|Cascade Double Pink Petunias, 2003|
Neither plant from the garden survived indoors.
I planted 24 seeds of Double Cascade Pink in 9 cells,
using the same technique as last year.
Divided giving 14 seedlings, half still very small.
Some iron chelates in addition to its regular fertilizer,
because it sometimes seems to need iron.
I set out 9 plants.
One bud looks ready to open.
I sprinkled a little sulphur around them.
There are two flowers on the same plant.
The plants in the garden have gone leggy with few flowers.
The weather has been dry.
I ordered a package of petunia, Double Cascade Pink, 1245A, $3.95, from Stokes.
I ordered through Joan and she might just share some she already has.
I started 27 seeds in a 9-pak.
They are on finely screened peat moss that I boiled, which is on soil mix.
I gave each cell about 3 ml of No-Damp,
and put the 9-pak in a plastic bag in the warming box in front of a window.
It should be about 81°F there days and 65° nights.
6 tiny sprouts.
Separated and transplanted, giving 21 plants.
I set out my plants.
Also, I bought 8 plants of Blue Daddy from Revy, on sale for 49 cents, and set them out.
The Cascade Pinks are doing marvellously,
although they need deadheading to improve their general appearance.
The other varieties are not very noticeable.
Still just marvellous, large with many blossoms!
Some of them have rather yellow leaves; I expect they need iron.
I believe I gave them iron once already this summer.
I brought 2 plants in from the garden.
I cut them back, but then they died back completely.
One now has a few small shoots and may survive.
The other has a few very tiny shoots, dead-looking stems,
and I don't expect it to survive.
I planted 9 cells of Cascade Pink seeds today,
with a few seeds in each cell.
I put planting mixture on top of soil mix.
Both, of course, were microwaved sterilized.
They went into the temperature controlled box,
in front of artificial daytime light.
Tiny sprouts are visible this morning.
The daytime temperature has been about 82°F.
The night temperature has been about 70°F.
Many sprouts. I removed the seedlings from the box.
I thinned the seedlings to 2 per cell.
I put some of the extras into other starter packs,
to give 27 cells altogether.
Two seedlings have died or nearly died,
leaving me with 33 plants in 25 cells.
Many of the leaves are yellow,
and today green veins are appearing,
so it looks like iron chlorosis.
I transplanted to fill 27 cells again,
and watered with 0.4% iron chelate solution.
None of the plants shows any sign of chlorosis now,
but they are widely varying in size.
I put 7 plants out in the bed around the clematis.
The soil is very dry there.
I set out 9 plants in the garden.
I planted my last 5 plants at Parkview.
Growing well, with about 1 flower per plant.
I gave them sulfur and iron chelates for chlorosis.
One plant still seems to be suffering from chlorosis.
So were some of the petunias I saw in Kildonan Park yesterday.
They did not flourish and spread this year as I expected.
I should plant them closer together another year.
The plants near the clematis are still alive,
but there are no flowers.
Started 1 6-pak of double pink grandifloras,
2 seeds per cell.
I put them into the thermostatically controlled box.
Most had sprouted.
Thinned and transplanted to 4 6-paks.
Transplanted to 4-paks or larger.
Fine here and at 503.
I bought 10 plugs from the conservatory sale,
and put them into 9-paks. Pink flowers, wave petunias.
In flower, about 1 per plant.
Some plants have grown well,
and others done almost nothing.
A good show. Other varieties are better.
Flowering very well.
A few flowers left, and many spent blossoms.