I planted 18 Alaska seeds in 6 peat pots.
I put 20 Cobra seeds in moist paper towel to germinate.
No Alaska sprouts yet.
Four of the Cobra seeds have begun to germinate so I put them in soil in foam cups.
I put the rest of them, still in paper towel, in the warming box to see what happens.
The seeds in the warming box are going mouldy.
Never a sprout.
I planted some seeds of the Cobra variety in a hanging basket.
I planted 12 Alaska seeds in 6 peat pots.
There are 2 Cobra sprouts.
And now also 2 Alaskas.
The Cobra sprouts have been damaged by winds.
I planted the 3 Alaska sprouts.
They grew very well for a time then one day many leaves mysteriously died away.
They have mostly recovered now.
The leaves were a great addition to a recent potato salad.
I planted 6 seeds of the Cobra variety in a hanging basket.
They were a disappointment.
Germination of the Cobras was very poor, although I tried 3 batches in 3 different ways.
Furthermore, the Alaska plants that I set out in the raised bed scarcely grew.
I put 21 Alaska seeds in water to soak.
I planted them in 10 peat pots.
First sprout today.
I planted my 3 seedlings, still in their peat pots.
They did not grow at first,
but now they are producing new large leaves.
I started 6 cups, with 1 seed per cup.
I lines the cups with paper towel first.
Sprouts in all 6 cups.
I set out my 6 plants in the red tulip bed,
after clearing away the tulips and mulching with cardboard and plant material.
All but 2 died.
Those 2 look like they are going to do well enough though.
I put 8 seeds in water to soak.
Coming along fine.
Suddenly tall with many flowers.
Two plants have spread widely and are covered with blossoms.
Two other were smothered by the petunias and have not done much since the petunias caught up.
I put about 60 seeds in moist cloth to begin germination.
Yesterday and today I put 59 seeds in soil.
I saw that some of today’s seeds had begun to germinate whilst in the moist cloth.
About 20 sprouts.
A disappointing germination rate, about 33%.
Although a few more sprouts appeared, the rate is still not good.
I soaked another package of Alaska seeds and put them in styrofoam cups to sprout,
one seed per cup.
I also transferred some seedlings from their large shared flats into cups.
Nasturtiums do not transplant well, I have read.
Their roots were long and I'm sure many broke during the process.
None of the new seeds germinated!
Of the plants downtown, some are doing well and some are doing poorly.
The plants in my garden died mysteriously about a month ago, but the ones downtown are still flowering.
|Alaska Nasturtiums, 2007|
I have planted about 40 Alaska plants in styrofoam cups. They are intended to go in the front planters at my club.
I sowed about 12 seeds of the tall climbing variety in the south semicircle.
I set out 35 in the front planters at the club downtown.
Some sprouts today in the semicircular bed.
The tall climbers are doing fine. They have not spread far but their leaves are large. There are 5 Alaska's near the sweet peas, and they are smaller but doing fine.
Seeds of Alaska Mixed arrived today from Stokes.
I bought a package of McKenzie brand Tall Climbing Mix seeds from Walmart, $1.69.
I started 8 large cells of Alaska and 4 of Tall Climbers.
There were no sprouts in the morning, but some broke through in the afternoon.
I started many seeds of all varieties in perlite in large styrofoam cups.
I transferred the tall climbing sprouts and half of the Jewel sprouts
into small styrofoam cups.
I set out 3 Tall Climbers in the south semicircle.
I planted almost all of my plants at my club.
I planted my last 2 Jewels among the yellow tulips.
I put 9 Alaska seeds in water to soak.
The ones that were set out early are doing well.
Late additions are not.
|Jewel Nasturtiums, 2005|
I bought a package of McKenzie seeds of the Jewel Mixed variety for $3.
Sprouts this afternoon.
I set out about 14 plants in 2 beds.
I set out 3 extras along the west side of the house, where the soil is poor.
First flower, along the west side of the house.
Flowers in all locations.
They spread widely and have flowered prolifically!
I looked before fairly unsuccessfully for seeds on the vine, but they were all undeveloped.
I found them today on the ground.
They evidently fall off when they have matured.
None other years.