A few plants.
Doing well, but many holes in the leaves.
A few plants are flowering nicely.
They flowering beautifully and there was no rust.
Some green leaves, and they have been there for at least 10 days.
Did fine. Less rust; clearing away all the old leaves may have helped.
New growth, and there has been for some time.
The hollyhock rust is severe.
Coming along fine.
New leaves have started to grow.
Coming along with no sign of rust.
A few flowers, and not much rust.
They became rustier later.
As the snow melts, it has revealed small new leaves at ground level.
Still doing well, although some of the lower leaves have died due to heavy growth of hollyhock rust.
A few small plants can be seen.
The plants in their second year are large and have flowered well.
The empty spaces in their bed have largely been filled by volunteers
or by transplanted volunteers.
The single-flowered plants were coming up fine in their usual place,
but I sprayed them with glyphosate as I want to replace them with the double-flowered variety.
Then I realized that none of the double-flowered plants have appeared yet after winter,
in either of their 2 spots.
All but 2 of the plants seemed to have died, and those 2 were very set back,
but now a few of them are sending up new leaves.
It looks as though there will be no flowers this year,
but the plants that survived the spraying are still growing
and some seedlings are starting too.
|Perennial Hollyhocks, 2003|
Leaves of several plants are now visible.
I bought a package of Chater's double-flowered hollyhock seeds today
from St. Mary's Nursery, $1.49 plus tax.
I planted 24 seeds in 12 cells.
I set 7 plants along the fence and 7 along the house.
The new plants are doing fine.
The old ones have many flowers.
Small leaves are visible.
They have been putting on a bravura show for weeks now.
Ben cleared the bed and later worked in some manure.
Small leaves are visible.
One of the best displays ever!
I have clipped off the flower and seed-bearing tops of the stalks,
as there were few flowers remaining and they were tipping over with the burden of the seeds.
There are a few small plants.
There are a few medium plants.
They are flowering nicely.
New growth is evident.
William put edging around their bed.
I sprayed glyophosate on the grass in the bed.
New plants are showing medium size leaves.
They have been flowering for a while now.
Flowering nicely. Many of the leaves seem to have rust.
Some of the plants are finished.
I chopped them into the compost pile.
All the plants are now in the compost bins.
They put on a fair show this summer.
Visible in the garden.
The hollyhocks are flowering.
|Annual Hollyhock Seedling, 2008
I seeded 9 cells.
I set out 7 seedlings.
I started 9 cells today, 2 seeds per cell.
2 sprouts today.
I set them out a few days ago and they are doing fine.
I started 9 seeds in 9 cells.
I set out some seedlings.
I ordered seeds of Summer Carnival Mixed, an annual hollyhock, from Stokes.
I started 9 cells, with 2 seeds per cell.
I set my 9 plants out.
I put 7 near the sunflowers and 2 in a gap in the delphiniums.
I hope they survive.
I don't know that they are frost hardy, but they look just like perennial hollyhocks,
which certainly are.
They were fairly large for their cells.
If they are not frost hardy, then they should be started later.
Frost last night.
They look frozen this morning.
They have clearly been damaged by several nights of frost, but they look like they will survive.
They survived, and went on to flower nicely.