Starlight Asters (A. dumosus L.)
|Starlight Aster, 2004|
I ordered seed from Stokes last month.
The seeds arrived today. I started 36 in a cloth napkin.
I transferred 13 sprouts and 6 unsprouted seeds to cells, and started 10 seeds in 9 cells.
9 seeds are missing from the napkin. I guess they fell out during handling. :(
I put the last 5 sprouts and 4 seeds into cells.
One plant remains.
It is a little leggy and is coming into bud.
I rolled 40 Starlight seeds in a cloth napkin and started them soaking.
I planted those 4 sprouts in soil mix.
They are showing green cotyldedons inside the seed coat.
I put the unsprouted seeds in the warming box.
I have 3 seedlings, and no more sprouts.
I discarded the first batch of seeds and started the remaining 32 seeds in a napkin.
I have 1 plant flowering thinly and 2 with good foliage.
1 is finished, I sold 1 at the garage sale, and I have one coming into bloom.
I rolled 36 Starlight seeds in a cloth napkin and started them soaking.
There were 10 sprouted seeds.
I planted 9 of them in a 9-pak.
Now up to 17 sprouted seeds in 2 9-paks.
Now 18 sprouted seeds in 2 9-paks.
5 have developed cotyledons and 3 more are visible.
I transplanted my 6 remaining plants into 4 inch pots.
I put 5 of them under the fluorescents lamps and one under the sodium lamp.
The plant that was under the sodium lamp is budding.
It has only a few buds, and it will flower too early for the garage sale,
so I put it back under the fluorescents.
I put a different one under the sodium lamp to see what happens.
Maybe by switching lights and putting them outside sometimes to be cool,
I can control the flowering time and get many blossoms too.
I took 4 plants to the garage sale.
One had one blossom open and the others had tiny buds.
I still have 2 plants which are not as advanced.
Both plants are in bud, and one bud on one plant is opening.
They both flowered beautifully, one slightly after the other,
and slowly died down.
9 plants are coming along.
I transferred them to 4 inch pots.
They are doing fine.
Their foliage is low and covers the pot.
One is taller than the others and is showing buds.
That one is starting to flower now.
It has 7 buds.
I got my new grow shelf operating today and moved the plants under the new light,
a high-pressure sodium one.
I am giving them 12 hours of light per day.
I ordered more seeds from Stokes.
The most advanced plant has its top flower almost completely open.
It is purple.
However one of the plants still under lights has died mysteriously.
Its leaves are completely limp, but the soil is very moist.
Is this a reoccurrence of last year's Asteraceae disease?
I certainly hope not.
I must apply No-Damp when the soil has dried a bit.
A fourth plant is coming into flower.
I gave away all but 2,
and I deadheaded those and put them into the garden after they flowered.
One has died, and the other seems headed the same way.
The plant I gave Jennifer died suddenly on her,
but Donalda's flowered for a long time. I don't know what the explanation
I ordered a package of Starlight Mix, 629D, $2.25, from Stokes.
They are recommended as a pot plant, so I intend to grow some under lights next autumn.
I planted 36 seeds, two per cell.
They are in the basement starter table.
3 more sprouts.
I moved the tray upstairs, to where it is warmer.
I moved the tray back downstairs.
I bought 9 plants from Revy, 49 cents, and set them out,
most along the west side of the house and 2 in the garden.
I intend to treat them with No-Damp, and see if they can avoid the fusarium fungus.
I watered them with a litre of No-Damp solution.
The plants along the house are doing well,
but 1 in the garden is totally brown and the other has 2 brown leaves.
A first flower.
Doing well along the house, with several flowers per plant and no sign of fusarium.
One plant in the main garden is still alive, but not really flourishing.
I bought 8 plants for 99 cents at Revy and set them out.
A first flower is opening.
The plants did not grow very much, but they put out a nice display of flowers. Now, unfortunately, they have mostly succumbed to whatever kills asters in my garden. Most plants have dried up and died.
I pulled the plants out. They were quite dried up, and I saw that their roots systems had not developed since they were planted, but may in fact have diminished.
They were almost certainly killed by fusarium fungus. This fungus resides in the soil and enters the plant through the roots. It then spreads upwards into the whole plant, killing it. It is quite specific, affecting (probably) only asters, and then not every variety.
I started one 9-pak, 3 Stokes seeds per cell.
Doing fine outside.
They died, probably from my usual aster problem,
Massagno Spider Asters
I purchased 9 plants from St. Mary's Nursery.
Split into individual pots.
9 plants set out.
Buds opening, 4 plants left.
Started some seeds.
Only 1 seedling from ~12 seeds,
so I bought 12 plugs at the Conservatory plant sale.
This was about 15 plants, now in 6-paks.
3 alive and doing well, about to flower.
All those together at the south end died,
apparently of fusarium wilt.
Those at the north end flowered for a while,
but fusarium got them too.
Started seeds, 18 cells with 2 seeds per cell.
Some are up.
6 healthy plants, and 3 weak ones.
1 weak plant budding.
The last one died whilst beginning to flower.
3 of 7 spider asters are in flower.
There are some blossoms.
New England Aster (A. novae-angliae)
Flowering very well.
Blue Boy Asters
I had these rototilled under today.
Some flowers on the Blue Boy aster,
It has many small blue flowers,
but they are not very distinguished.
Aster Sedifolius (A. sedifolius L.)
I did not much admire it,
so I had it rototilled under today.
Bought a perennial aster,
described also as a Michaelmas daisy, from St. Mary Nursery
for $6.99 + tax. Andrea told me it will be tall with purple
flowers and yellow centres.